We love eating yogurt. Using the Chufamix , we wanted to experiment how to make yogurt from fresh veggie milk. We started trying to make yogurt from hazelnut milk , oat milk , nut milk … without success. Our first victory was with soy milk . The trick is to make a very highly concentrated milk. Therefore, if the traditional recipe of fresh soy milk uses between 80 – 100g of soy beans, to make a yogurt from it, you have to triple the percentage and make a “concentrated” milk using 250 – 300grs of soy beans.
Ingredients to make the concentrated soy milk:
- 1 liter of water
- 300g of white soy beans
- flavouring to taste: tablespoon of honey , lemon peel ,a pinch cinnamon, vanilla …(choose your favourite)
Ingredients to make the yogurt:
- 1 liter of concentrated soy milk
- 1 organic soy yogurt ( bought from the shop )
Preparation of the milk:
- Leave the soybeans soaking in water overnight .
- The next day, strain the soaking water from the soy beans and add half a liter of fresh water. Blend with the mixer .
- After blending, heat up one glass of water in a saucepan. When the water is warm, add the mixture of soy beans to it.
- Lower the heat and cook everything for about 6 minutes.
- Finally, add a glass of water into the chufamix container, add the hot mixture into the filtering glass and beat again. Filter and store milk.
Preparation of the yogurt :
- Place a spoonful of soy yogurt into 4-6 separate glass pots
- Add the warm soy milk to each pot and mix well .
- Let it stand for 12 to 24 hours between 30-40ºC (it is important to maintain this temperature to help the yogurt ferment properly) *we will discuss a few options in the following paragraph
- After this time, you can cap the yogurts and store them in the fridge. The soy yogurt remains preserved for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Keep one of your homemade yogurts to use as a fermenter to make more yogurts.
Tips and advice
- You can substitute soy yogurt for probiotic sachets (one sachet per glass) .
- If you do not have a yogurt making tool at home you have other options*, for example:
- You could heat the oven up to 50ºC, place the yogurt glasses in it an keep them there for at least 12 hours.
- Cover the glasses with a wooly cloth and news paper and keep them on the heater.
- The most important thing is to keep them in a warm ambiance (35ºC) to ferment.